Thursday 3 December 2015

The role of peer and tutor feedback

The purpose of peer feedback is to provide us with more opportunities to learn from the others. After each assignment, two or more students can work together to check each other’s work and give comment on the assignment. It can be in the form of corrections, opinions, suggestions, ideas to each other. This form of learning can provide diversity as students do not just listen to the tutor’s guidance but also work with the peer to do more practices in the assignment.

In SIE 2016 Effective Communication module, the task of giving and receiving feedback is a normal norm for us as we are given opportunities to give feedback to our peers. This allows us to interact and learn from each other. This kind of learning is very new to me as previously I only get feedback from my tutor only. Thus, the interaction between my peers and I are very minimal. Therefore, I personally feel that I learn a lot from this module through the peer and tutor feedback.

I still remember that time when we just start setting up our blog and were given a task to start writing on our first post. We were given a choice between 2 topics to write on which are “The importance of English for me” and “Our English Journey”. I took “Our English Journey” as my topic as I feel that it is more relevant to me. Soon after, I published my first post on my blog. For my second part of my assignment, I have to give feedback to 3 peers in my blogger group. They are Daniel, Joey and Shengda. At the start I thought that giving feedback is simply sharing my thought on their post but after receiving Mr. Blackstone feedback myself, I realize that I should not only share my thoughts but also give constructive feedbacks to our peers and help them to lookout for their careless grammar mistakes. In this process, my peers and I get to learn from our mistake and improve together.

While looking back on my blog posts, I found out that I tend to make a lot of careless mistake in my writing. While receiving the feedbacks from both my peers and tutor, I can filter out all the careless mistakes and make improvement on my writing assignments. For example, the reader response assignment, it took 4 draft before the finalized version can be prefect. Whenever I look at back at the previous drafts, there is a clear improvement for the next draft. We do received feedback on our oral presentation too which help shape us into better presenter as a whole.Therefore, I think that feedback is very important and we should integrate that into our daily life.

Finally, 12 weeks have pass and we are at the end of the module, I definitely feel that I will apply what I have learn from this module on the other modules during my course. Feedback will play an important part in my future assignments as I feel that integrating feedbacks to my future assignments will bring benefits to me.

We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve. – Bill gates


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jason, I agree with you on the importance of feedback from our peers and tutors. They can help us become a much better person and we should let this be a part of our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jason, getting positive and constructive feedback is beneficial to us to improve on our language and presentation. I can see that after 12 weeks of class, you have make significant improvement in your writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this highly comprehensive critical reflection, Jason. You do a very good job of reviewing what we did for the feedback exercises and explaining how you felt about that. You even mention the possibility that peer feedback could assist you in the future.

    My question now is this: How might a peer feedback regime like the one conducted this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules? Would there really be any way you could get peer feedback on the future?

    Whatever the case,, I'd like to thank you for your effort this term and the clear positive development, and I want to wish you the best as you continue your learning journey! (Make your grandma proud!)

    ReplyDelete