Wednesday 2 December 2015

One person that inspired me

Is there ever been a person in your life that had inspired you to do anything? For me that person will be my late grandmother. She is one of the most self-motivated person that I ever knew in my life. No matter what kind of problems she faced, she always seem to have a way to handle it. Sometimes I also wonder how she get that kind of strength to deal with so many challenges in life. Being able to raise 6 children including my father single handily makes me really wonder how she did it. I still remember whenever I visit her, she always welcome me with a smile. She just doesn't seem to have any problem in her life at all.

There was this particular scene that I can still remember despite it happened a few years ago. It was during a family dinner when she told our family that she has been diagnosed with leukaemia. The doctor told her that it is in the 2nd stage and she needs to go for chemotherapy treatment as soon as possible. The usual rowdy family dinner become dead silent and weeping sound can be heard from everyone on the table. Whenever I think of this scene, it can still bring tears to me. However, my grandmother said “不要哭了,我还没死。我会没事的, 一定会好起来。”. In English which means “Do not cry, I'm not dead yet. I'll be fine and healthy in no time.”  She then told us not to be sad and be grateful as there is available medical treatment for her.

I still remember visiting her at the hospital when her condition became worsen. Whenever I went to the hospital to visit her, she always greet me with her signature smile. That was this particular day when I ask her how she feeling now. She told me that she is feeling better every day and the pain she suffer now will help her in fighting leukemia. She told me that she wants to get better so that she can see us growing up and forming our own family. She told me that she particularly hope that I can get into university as I am the eldest son in my family.

Sadly, after fighting with leukaemia for 5 years, she pass away. It was during my final year in polytechnic when she pass away. This greatly affected me and I was unable to concentrate in class at all. My closest friend, Rui Xuan was unable to bear to see me like that any more and decided to wake me up from this nonsense.  He said to me that “do you really think that this is what your grandmother want? She want you to excel in your academics and get into university.”  This was when I wake up and decided to work hard on my grade and get into university.

Now that I am in SIT, I want to finish this course and make her proud. This is both my and her dream and I hope to be able to do it. This is a short story of how a grandson is inspired by his own grandmother.


Difficult doesn’t mean impossible, it simply means that you have work hard.- unknown

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jason, thank you for sharing your post. I feel that you felt a sense of emotional closeness to your grandma and viewed your grandma as a source of social support when she was around. Grandparents are the most important family role.That's why your grandma had make such a huge impact on you when she leave you. I believe that your grandma would be proud of her grandson as you have made it to University!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death is just another stage of life. I am sure your grandmother will be proud of you, no matter what you do. I would like to suggest to you, if i may, transform negative energy into positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason, your late grandmother was truly a remarkable women. Even after she was informed of her illness, she was still emotionally strong and able to console those around her. I am sure you can be just as strong as your late grandmother and persevere though any obstacles you may face in SIT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jason, for sharing with us this poignant story of your amazing grandmother. You reflect in a way that is very vivid, allowing us to catch of a glimpse of your lovely relationship and the hurt that you felt when your grandmother departed. As others have mentioned, you are paying tribute to your grandmother in your current dedication to your studies, for which she would be very proud.

    What a great effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jason, for sharing with us this poignant story of your amazing grandmother. You reflect in a way that is very vivid, allowing us to catch of a glimpse of your lovely relationship and the hurt that you felt when your grandmother departed. As others have mentioned, you are paying tribute to your grandmother in your current dedication to your studies, for which she would be very proud.

    What a great effort!

    ReplyDelete